Today is the Spring Equinox.
The Maya, like many cultures, believed that the annual cycle of the sun represented a spiritual path of enlightenment that they could follow throughout the year. Each solar year, beginning with the Fall Equinox, was an opportunity to increase one’s consciousness. The sun symbolized the phases someone seeking spirit evolution would go through.
- The Fall Equinox – death, darkness and going within
- The Winter Solstice – birth, creation and awakening
- The Spring Equinox – growth and resurrection
- The Summer Solstice – triumph, ascension and consciousness
The Spring Equinox is a visual reminder of the balance of light and dark within each of us…and our need to release our ego so that our true light can shine forth. The days become longer than the nights after the Spring Equinox and bring new life with them.
This is a time of new beginnings, growth and resurrection, leading up to the triumph and celebration of the Summer Solstice. Today is a powerful day to set intentions for what you want to accomplish. Consider doing some type of ceremony or action to make your intentions real:
- Write your intention down on one slip of paper and what you want to release on another. Place your intention somewhere where you can see it daily and focus on it; burn the paper with what you want to release as a symbol of its disappearance from your life.
- Clean and release any negative energy in your body, relationships, home and work
- Focus on balancing the male and female energies in your body through meditation, yoga, or another practice that resonates with you
- Consider doing a juice cleanse to remove toxins within your body. If you’ve never done a cleanse before, please consult with your doctor before starting.
- Spend time outside in nature – the beach, forest, a park – and feel the warmth of the sun. Ask the wind to help clear any negative energy from you.
How do you celebrate the Spring Equinox?