Today is the summer solstice. It’s the longest day of the year.
The Maya, like many cultures, believed that the annual cycle of the sun represented a spiritual path of enlightenment that they could follow throughout the year. Each solar year, beginning with the Fall Equinox, was an opportunity to increase one’s consciousness. The sun symbolized the phases someone seeking spirit evolution would go through.
- The Fall Equinox – death, darkness and going within
- The Winter Solstice – birth, creation and awakening
- The Spring Equinox – growth and resurrection
- The Summer Solstice – triumph, ascension and consciousness
The summer solstice is the culmination of this journey – with the light of the day overcoming the dark of night.
It is a time of spiritual initiation, renewal, and transformation.
This highly spiritual day is the perfect opportunity to connect to divine source, celebrate your own inner light and let your light shine out to the world. Invite the sun’s energy in and let it help fuel your passions and your higher self!
Want to celebrate the summer solstice? Here are some ideas – feel free to share others in the comments:
- Meditate on the abundance that the sun brings to you, your community and the planet
- Create an altar to express your gratitude toward the sun and enlightenment – complete with sunflowers
- Build a bonfire and drum and dance around it
- Spend time outside, relaxing and watching the sun move through the sky (don’t forget to wear sunglasses or other protective eye gear)
- Set your intentions and goals for the next full cycle of the sun – what do you want to accomplish in the next year?
- Nourish yourself with fresh fruits and vegetables that have been ripened and kissed by the sun
- Do a series of Sun Salutation yoga poses
Above all – enjoy the day!
Thank you! And happy Summer Solstice!
You are welcome!
[…] The summer solstice – triumph, ascension and consciousness […]